- IHLIA Open Up!: spin-off from IHLIA, a legal entity based in Amsterdam providing non-profit public information, documentation, and education on lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBT) matters.
- Website: IHLIA Open Up! Website providing Content to Users for viewing.
- Content: digitised LGBT archive material from Central, Eastern and South-Eastern (CESE) Europe selected from IHLIA’s physical archive.
- Users: Registered users, either private persons or legal entities regardless of country of origin, who may enjoy IHLIA Open Up! Services.
- Services: conditional and temporary access to the Content, granted by IHLIA Open Up!, in particular the temporary option of viewing Content online for non-commercial, personal use or research.
- Researchers: Accredited researchers who may enjoy additional Services compared to Users.
- Contributing Archives: organisation that have contributed to the Content, i.e. contributed or shared LGBT archive material from Central, Eastern and South-Eastern (CESE) Europe.
- Network Organisations: organisations that are member of ILGA/IGLYO.
- We: IHLIA Open Up!
- You: Visitors to the Website, Users, Researchers, Contributing Archives, Network Organisations.
As a User, you understand that IHLIA Open Up! Services are intended and limited to facilitating online viewing of selected LGBT material for non-commercial, personal use or research. You understand that any uses or actions by you outside the scope of the Services may conflict with private rights of third parties. If you are a Researcher you understand that you are bound to the limits of the extended Services you enjoy.
As a User you can view the Content but not copy, print, forward, download. As a Researcher you may enjoy copy, print, forward and download options, as well as access to IHLIA’s physical archive. For IHLIA Open Up!’s options for Researchers, click
As the User you bear responsibility for your account. You are specifically not allowed to pass your username and password on to others. For organisations, private individuals should register and manage their account individually. These private individuals are not allowed to pass their username and password on to others in or outside the organisation.
You understand that the Website may expose you to Content that you or others may find objectionable or offensive. This in the nature of some of the LGBT material. That said, IHLIA Open Up! leaves purely pornographic material out of the Content. IHLIA Open Up! shall not be responsible to you in any way for the nature of the Content that appears on this Website, nor for any error or omission concerning the Content.
As a User, you are not allowed to copy or cut and paste a large part of a document or publication available in the Content. This restriction does not apply to documents or publications that are already in the public domain.
For IHLIA Open Up!’s copyright policy click here
Contributing Archives and Network Organisations enjoy so-called tier 2 access (“Share and Exchange”) according to IHLIA Open Up!’s copyright policy. If you represent such an organisation, please apply for access. For the application form, click here. You are bound by the limits of the extended Services you enjoy. For IHLIA Open Up!’s system for tiered access click here.
LGBT material with restricted access according to is only available for scientific research, so-called tier 3 access (“Restricted”). For IHLIA Open Up!’s tiered access options click here. For the application form click here.
As a User, you explicitly agree to the following. You shall not impersonate or misrepresent your association with any person or entity, or forge or otherwise seek to conceal or misrepresent your identity. In addition, you shall not collect or harvest any data about other users.
You agree to indemnify and hold harmless IHLIA Open Up! and its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, agents, officers, directors, and employees from and against any and all liability, loss, claims, damages, costs, and/or actions (including attorneys’ fees) arising from your use of the Services, the Website, or the Contents.
This agreement is governed by the laws of the Netherlands. Any suit arising from this agreement will be brought to the Courts of Amsterdam. If you have questions of doubts as to the use of the Content please contact IHLIA Open Up! at firstname.lastname@example.org, call +31 (0)20-5230837 , or write to IHLIA Open Up!:
1011 DK Amsterdam